af_and the girls
Tuesday, October 07, 2008
  thinking about my awesome brother and his equally awesome wife...

they are an amazingly gifted, creative and hardworking pair.

and while I've already killed way too much time while working at home today, i do have to put one thing on my baby-blog that I forgot to tell them when they were here in person a couple of weeks ago.

Sometimes I just get too shy/scattered/tied up in the visiting festivities that I forget such things...but I have a feeling that if i post it here, not only will i like the re-reading of this, but they will see it too...

In early 2002, Taylor and Sarah came and helped remodel, paint, otherwise decorate the scarriest looking living room and dining room on earth. We were living in Logan and needed to get our retro(old) house more live-able and sale-able and while my parents financed the remodel-able, it never would have happened without the talent and engergy-able(ok, i'll stop) of Taylor and Sarah.

Words don't really paint the picture as brilliantly as....a picture would, but--it will have to do for today. Taylor and Sarah not only know how to work with each other, but have great ideas and will even do scary things like---remove wallpaper, or actually PAINT something...(way beyond my skill set) it's not that I don't appreciate beauty, I just have no idea where to start, especially in the area of home and interior design.

Even more than the act of redecorating the front room for me, Taylor and Sarah brought their own brand of optimism and uplifting energy to me and my little family at a time when we desperately needed it.

Time won't really allow too much of a slow walk down memory lane here, but I will share two things that stay with me today; and have moved with me to each place I have lived. The first thing that I still have is a couch slip cover that is an awesome blue periwinkle color that I hope will one day cover an actual couch I get for our living room. It's a great slipcover and reminds me of the room that was transformed and how beautiful it looked.

The second thing I have is a pillowcase that was originally used on one of the throw pillows for that blue couch to tie the finished room together. It's a great, and very soft periwinkle blue cotton with bright green strips. It does more than reminding me of the overall coolness of the room that Taylor and Sarah created, it reminds me of the love that is present and can be found even in the work and acts of service we give to each other, and to me personally, the act of love and work that was done for me.

It shouldn't come as THAT big of a surprise that my room doesn't really have a decorated theme beyond...I've got a bed and a night table, and a closet that holds my clothes; but most importantly, I have this really cool pillow case on my squishiest pillow that has made the journey, from the place I was then in Logan and my beginning little family with the girls, to the apartment I live in now and the sweet girls I am trying to guide into ...adulthood.

For anyone that is keeping track, my baby girl will be 18 in 2017. and since they will legally be adults, they of course will be old enough and confident enough to take care of themselves. should their mom decide to get her motorcycle...cause she has a need for speed. :-)

I miss living closer to Taylor and Sarah, but want them to know--they are still with me in spirit (and color ;-) in Salt Lake City.

-afton 
Comments:
I'm feeling like a big doofus (spell checker can't even help with that one) for not having checked your blog since you wrote this! I want to give you a big hug. It was a joy and a pleasure to have that experience with you in the "scary" living room. It turned out so bright and cheerful. We miss you. We loved seeing you. I hope it isn't too long until we are together again!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

My Photo
Name:

redhead middle child solo flyer-type parent and the enjoyment in the journey is the name of the game... with a little afro thrown in for color.

Archives
December 2006 / October 2007 / January 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]