This American Liferadio archives of This American Lifelatest listening addiction
i've listened to
-Giant Pool of Money (from May 2008. but i can't stop listening to this one)
-Another Frightening Show about the Economy (even more fascinating and a lot frightening...and recent-Oct 2008)
at least ten to fifteen times through each. normally, i listen to the weekly podcast once or twice during my drive to work, but I can't get these off my ipod until i understand them completely.
after this mornings listen, my mind is still rolling around:
Credit default swaps
CDS desks
credit default protection
speculation and netting
breaking the buck
bonds
and...i just don't "get" it yet. but I am determined. I keep trying to get the few people I know that might be interested in listening to this to do so and explain this to me, but so far--no takers. So next step is formulating my thoughts blog-style and see how far I get.
once i "get" what these episodes cover....i plan to continue my primer on business and the economy teachings with the girls. and teach them more about the financial markets and the current "crisis" complete with bailout options and house and senate decisions that have effected the world we live in.
They are thrilled, they just don't know it yet. see? they don't even remember me nursing them and reading my financial markets and economics textbooks out loud to them, so they already have the foundation to build on, they just think they were born with it--which they practically were--they both sat through higher level accounting and financial courses when I was pregnant; there MUST be a payoff SOMEWHERE for all that back and forth to class...all those years ago.
So, to this end (girls education) I've started fairly slow....i brought home the classic version of Monopoly last week to play as a family. we're working our way through rent, mortgages and utilities and the like. nothing like family financial -based bonding.
as luck would have it, the next Office episode up for replay on my computer? "Money-Pt 1 and 2 from season 4" define a perfect monday however you want...here's mine for today.
Numbers are fun.
Post a Comment