af_and the girls
Wednesday, February 04, 2009
  Blood-Related Sisters


ever wonder if you really share the same blood as your sister?

embark on the following (thinking out loud conversation):

oh--and time travel back to 1993 ; yes, i swear it's better for all involved if THAT is where the mindset is for this thinking out loud episode.yes. i promise.--

Dialogue commences:

sis: "why do you always wear that lame baseball hat backwards??? it's totally unflattering on you....I just don't get why you wear it??!??"


(note to reading audience...NO, these were not her actual words--but just putting up photos without any "background info " really doesn't do the snapshot experience that has been forever treasured any justice, now does it??? work with me people....i get licenses or something as a writer. poetic-ness ability is ringing a bell....and me, being the writer that i am will take FULL advantage of licenses.....anywaysssss...j, just for you....)

afro: "sis, I understand your query overall....however,...if I am going to have a chance at explaining WHY I wear this awesome hat that I do, then YOU are going to have to take a shot at enlightening ME about your yellow corduroy vest! I just don't "get" it. It's not that it doesn't look fabo on you(really, she looked very put together), cause it does and it really is in style-in 1993/circa eddie bauer etc...but WHY do you choose to wear it??!?"

(insert duel-audible sigh here...both parties...struggle to reach common ground...sisters for all of their lives....choosing to give "voice" to the ponder of sisters everywhere and throughout ALL ages of time in ..."WHY are you wearing that outside the house???? PLEASE!!! HELP me understand!!!!......but she's my SISTER...aren't we supposed to be....similar in our tastes overall?")

{subtle subtext?...man...i would NEVER wear that outside in public...where people might SEE ME!!!-...it WAS 1993, and a difficult time for fashion...as translated through 2009 fashion lenses}

sis: "uh--af...I could probably go right now into your closet and put on YOUR most favorite clothes in 5 seconds flat. it's not like VARIETY is on your agenda at this time in your life"


afro (thinks to herself): man...she has NO idea what I like to wear... how would she even know? if she's going to pick out a yellow vest to wear that is totally preppy...

(side note to reading audience: yes, actually--i did have a "look" going on and I rarely varied from that "look", much to the dismay of my mom and dad...and i have about ten different pictures of me wearing the version of what the younger sis came up with ...in our challenge-extended; she KNEW--easily, she knew what she was referring to in making the above statement about my clothes )

afro: "you're ON!!! I totally challenge you to a clothing duel. ....challenge extended"


and since I was raised with SO MANY siblings close in age, this was a good way to pass an evening

(read: sometimes mom and dad TOTALLY made us turn off the TV and we had to INTERACT with each other to pass the time, or do homework or go to bed....so, this clothing challenge is a fair example of leaving us up to "our own devices" to pass the time)


sis: "all right then...let's get real!!!"

sar was /is always up for a little challenge or two--it's what makes it fun to be around her.

afro[verbalizing the rules as they come into to her brain]:

"ok, well--let's see; we're both a sittin' and a chattin' in the EC room now...so...when I say "GO" we both run down the hall to each others rooms and then we have 2 minutes to pick out/find the outfit the other sister would MOST LIKELY wear on any given day..."

[it's like--the marketing version of "branding" of the individual...if you had to match the person with what you think they would pick as a default outfit--well, matching this to clothing theory was what we were going for]


sis: "bring it on sister...BRING...IT...ON!!!!!...."

two redheads in a room...look out folks...

sis-age 15ish
afro-age 18ish

face to face....eyes...focused on the challenge...

and ...WE'RE OFF!!!!!!

2 min. later? we both got back down the hallway to the EC room to see this! :

[well, we looked at each other...blankly...thinking...WAIT..is that a mirror? those are MY clothes!!!!! she is totally busted for wearing my clothes without asking...i'm gonna tell mom...wait...]







we just continued to stare at each other

we couldn't believe the evidence of our discussion previous to our "challenge extended"

and further, that we each KNEW what the other would wear....

we were just surprised to see someone else looking EXACTLY like WE did...in our default outfits no less....

and then, after the shock passed; we smiled at whoever had the camera--i'm guessing it was Gram Leanne...but K-dog might have been up past her bedtime too. it's hard to sleep in such a rowdy household...


[picture taken, to document the challenge/event]

and then...

we each got "itchy" in the other persons' clothing

and so....

back down the hallway we went together--no challenge in sight...

just a "get me to my comfort clothes and be quick about it" plea sent to the clothing heavens above

we probably just cut through the middle man and chose one of our bedrooms---and then swapped these little beauties back to their original owners. *Big Sigh of relief* as we walked together back down the hallway together again for the documentation of:







sure Gram Leanne may have taken the picture to document, but I guarantee you she was thinking in her mind..."wonder how I can get afro to dress a little more like a lady and follow the example of her younger sis...(I sat through the discussions about "being a lady" people--i KNOW of what I speak)"

enter 2009:

sar still has double the style ability of afro--easily. she wears color without fear and can converse in a room with anyone at the blink of an eye. (BOTH qualities I admire and strive to cultivate...sadly...I'm still lacking...but--I learn from my little sister--that it's not TOO scary to "talk" to people...sort of)

and sar brings color into the lives of all that know her. i sit back and watch...and enjoy the journey. and answer the questions as honestly as I can; when the girls ask "when do we get to see auntie sar again? " I look in their eyes and reply...."soon, girls...we'll see her soon...but we feel her inspiration...now."







and sar? no one but blood related sisters would have the exact same "tennis shoe" stance in the above two pictures that you and I did. we "mirrored" each other without forethought or planning---THAT is gene's a-talkin' my sister! and it's what I noticed as I scanned and cropped the pics for "public" enjoyment tonight.

Blood-related sisters are a gift beyond measure. and its the relationship that builds over a lifetime of continued fashion disscussions(among so many others). and that bond is also why tears formed in my eyes at the exact moment that I found out that Amy would have a baby sister that was scheduled to arrive within 20 months of her own birthday. Because sisters you're raised with---are--a gift that you continue to "get" for all the rest of your life. you can thank the parents as much as you want for giving you a sister, but it's the "sisters" that do the every day work of making sure you're taken care of and acknowledged as a sister.

you ARE my sister. blood related :-) sisters--forever. you can't shake me. I won't dress like you, but will continue to watch, enjoy, learn and cheer on--for my Sar! keep up the great work!

-af


and for my very own afr0-designated bonus sisters? I actually DO have a "working" entry for a blog posting in the very near future about how bonus sisters are also a gift--they just get to bring to the table a different type of fulfilment to the family mix. [bonus cousin-in-laws too you say? never fear...totally included in this is my style guru ms. Am. H. :-) ]



 
Comments:
thanks AF:) what an awesome post! And although I think that photo leaves something to be desired....What was I THINKING!!! Pleated denim?! I love you lots:) Can't wait to come up and visit soon.
 
Afton this was so funny to read! And I can't belive that you and sara actually were standing the same way! I love reading your blog and hearing about what's going on- mom had a lot of fun telling me about all the adventures this weekend :) Seriously, i want to set up a time to talk because my cold calling technique isn't working and I miss talking to my sister! Love you and thinking of you in Utah as I suffer through the snow in England...
 
I have so many posts to catch up on! Being sick in bed has one positive side, if you have a laptop... all the blog reading you can handle!

These pictures are so funny. It would have been fun to put up the two pictures and have those of us who didn't know you back then guess who was wearing the right clothes. I love learning new things about my sisters-in-law! (That's why I love these blogs so much!)
 
no idea how to "reply" to a post comment,

but found myself here tonight...thinking about suzie

and would just like to say--that I would never take "credit" for pointing grandpa pete in a "blog" -world direction; however--i HAVE told him specifically--on more than two occasions...when he asks about my life..and i tell him that my connections may be a little non-traditional; however,

it's fulfilling to get to catch up with people (and particualarly bonus-sisters) by reading things about "their" lives on whatever they choose to write about what they experience--(yes, even NJ delegation is very much enjoyed---cause "I" have NEVER lived there and love to hear and see whatever you've got Ms. JP!!!:-)

....and how, if you pay attention here and there--you get to understand the writers themselves, and how they see their lives in a more complete way than might be allowed during the "family reunions" where young kids need their moms and travel stress can work to combat any kind of "bonding" feelings that may or may not develop.

building a family relationship(s) is a good thing--but building through marriages, bonus in-laws and grandkids, animals and evolutions? takes a little--virtual assistance. luckily? virtual assistance in the form of "blogs"--totally exist!

uh.

OR....I agree with Ms. Suzie-it's also why "blogs" -especially of my family members--[bonus/blood/adopted/"imagined" or "willed" into the family--we'll TAKE EM all!!!] are so loved...by those who have discovered...the power of the connection.

-af

k-dog? get moving. your posterity--will also want to know what you and the british mchottie do to pass the time before they came into existence.

just....sayin'...afro-style...that you can do it. and it WILL be worth it. stop staring in his big blue eyes long enough to record what you cooked him for dinner tonight :-). miss you. in a reserved british fashion. of course.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

My Photo
Name:

redhead middle child solo flyer-type parent and the enjoyment in the journey is the name of the game... with a little afro thrown in for color.

Archives
December 2006 / October 2007 / January 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]