af_and the girls
Monday, May 18, 2009
  lose yourself for a minute. an hour...or so

.[Arlington]


I wonder sometimes, what is it...

about the exactness

the tradition

the reverence

and the total respect this place demands--without any verbal request or explicit expectation

to honor the lives that were sacrificed to find and uphold freedom and the love of country for the commitment to protecting those that could not protect themselves, and fighting for the freedoms of those that didn't have the voice to speak.

They fought for any that didn't have the means to fight, and continue to do so in the face of uncertainty on all sides. And their final resting place pays tribute to how far they were willing to go to win that battle.


tonight I stumbled across this video about Arlington



it is~real.

it is~everyday

it is~another example of what makes me proud to be an American.


I'll never know enough, or feel enough or be directly related to a service person that gave the ultimate sacrifice, but today? I've got girls to raise and educate...and my own life to continue...where I am more humbled and thankful than I can adequately express, for the honor, exactness and absolute commitment to serve their country and their fellow men-and cannot let this day pass--without my small remark that says:

"Thank you. Thank you. and Thank you for your continued service".

followed by...for the commoners translations

(cause my sincere hunch is that soldiers are too humble and duty bound to really take in the "thanks" in the way my heart means it...they do what they do because they do it. and THAT--I get; without hesitation or reservation)


"We don't know.

we CANNOT know.

the sacrifice these markers and this place represents to us all. For their families that were forced to say goodbye too soon, or their fellow soldiers that remember far more exactly than I ever could comprehend--the cost of the ultimate gift. I don't know that I'll ever know what it is to truly be free in this country that I tend to take for granted. mostly because I've never had to do without, question the existence, or fight for my own rights. We respect and remember--when that is all that is left to do--and we will not ever forget. "

Some day...the girls and I WILL see Arlington for ourselves. it is on my list. not a doubt in my mind. it will be somewhere that I will need to see with my own eyes.

someday.

I need to see the place that honors the idea~~

...the idea of giving the last full measure (of yourself and your abilities) when your country calls. I will see what that looks like. and then I will celebrate life with only the reverence that can be found in those that have gone on before.

and in the one place that seems to have turned so completely--after the fateful tour and remark of someone that ultimate and very unexpectedly was buried there. what was it about that man? how did one man become the tipping point to this location and have this impact to the present day? more research ultimately needed. since time travel not a viable option.


yes. overall, it will be a day to look forward to. All the questions don't need to be answered at once, but the joy in the journey to put the pieces together---always welcomed. 
Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

My Photo
Name:

redhead middle child solo flyer-type parent and the enjoyment in the journey is the name of the game... with a little afro thrown in for color.

Archives
December 2006 / October 2007 / January 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]